DataSelf ETL Introduction
DataSelf ETL simplifies the deployment and maintenance of MS SQL data warehouses. With it, users can avoid the use of SSIS and stored procedures to work with data warehouses. Via user-friendly wizards, users will be able to import tables, create indexes, relationships and formulas in a fairly code-free environment. DataSelf ETL communicates with MS SQL via ADO and SQL Server Native Client OLE DB provider.
DataSelf ETL and Data Warehouse Overview 15-min Video
Using the DataSelf ETL Configuration GUI
Under construction: Put image of main window here. Add name of program .exe. / ETL Config GUI
ETL menu bar: Help > Online help
Or see ETL Help file at http://www.dataself.com/dsbi/docs/dsetlhelp2009a.htm
Online help page on Importing from Excel Files: http://www.dataself.com/dsbi/docs/ETLExcelImport.htm
Procedural / How-to instructions. A good place to start to understand how the various wizards work together. These workflows are a kind of topical table-of-contents for the more detailed sections of documentation.
Workflows on how to:
- Import a table. Import a table from a source database into the DS data warehouse.
- Import a table with a filter. Add filter criteria to the imported table.
ETL metadata includes information about import mappings, data sources, data warehouse fields, filters, formulas (calculations), summary operations, relationships, and indexes. See Print Metadata and Print All Metadata on the right-click menu of the Browse Table window to generate reports.
See ETL Wizards page for details.
Browse Table window (ALT-T)
The Browse Table window is the ETL's default operational window. Many ETL tasks and workflows start from here.
Browse Data windows
- Navigation: Double-click on any table name in the Browse Table window.
The so-called "browse data" windows display the data stored in the data warehouse tables listed in the Browse Table window.
Browse Table - Right-click Menu
Right-click on any row in the Browse Table window.
- Navigation: Right-click on a table name in the Browse Table window, click Print Metadata.
Printer Refresh Info
Modify Import/Mapping window (Ctrl-I)
- Navigation: Right-click on a table name in the Browse Table window, click Modify Import/Mapping.
- Modify Import/Mapping invokes a subset of the Import Table Wizard. Used to modify the mappings of existing tables that have already been imported to DataSelf's data warehouse.
Modify Structure window (Ctrl-M)
- Navigation: Right-click on a table name in the Browse Table window, click Modify Structure.
- Navigation: Right-click on a table name in the Browse Table window, click Delete.
- Delete the imported table (the table in the DS data warehouse).
Re-index table. A subset of the complete Refresh process.
- Navigation: Right-click on a table name in the Browse Table window, click 'Refresh.
Refresh the table currently selected in the Browse Table window. A refresh updates the table in the data warehouse from the source data according to the import mapping specified in the Import Table Wizard.
Refresh all Tables
Recalculate formulas. A subset of the complete Refresh process.
May no longer be supported.
ETL Menu Bar (Menu Items)
Reset Dialog Size and Position
Change User/Password of ODBC
ETL Toolbar Menu (Icons)
Most of the icons start the various ETL wizards.
View ETL Log (ALT-E)
See also View ETL Log.
- ETL logging, log file settings
ETL Logic ( Logic, Functions and Operators )
- NULL_Values - Ceiling, Round